Budget cuts, outdated procedures, and unrealized reforms have left families using the California family courts system suffering unnecessarily both financially and emotionally. For a decade, the strong recommendations for fundamental change in the family law system from the Elkins Family Law Task Force Report have largely gone unrealized. In 2007, the report’s authors wrote the reform “must be a priority to restore and maintain the public’s trust and confidence in the courts.” Justice can be delayed no longer.
Now is the time to act to help protect families and ensure they receive justice, fairness and due process in our family courts.
Family Justice Advocates in Action is committed to these outcomes:
- Ensuring fairness, due process and the resulting justice in the family courts
- Making information available to families about the legal process and their available options
- Promoting the use of innovative techniques to promote efficient and effective practices in the family law courts
- Securing adequate resources for families using the family courts
- Streamlining Family Law forms and proceedings
- Ensuring practical access for all family court participants
- Helping to remove cultural and language barriers present in the family courts
- Improving the court experience for children and families and making the courts more responsive to their needs
- Improving the family courts through empirical research